Friday, November 20, 2009

CO2s and disciple making (1)

Roger Bullard is involved with planting churches and making disciples in eastern Europe. We were recently emailing about CO2s and I shared with him why a "church of two" is the best context I've ever found for making disciples.

Here's the first reason... a CO2 is daily (or as close to daily as possible).

This may seem insignificant but it's actually extremely important and generally overlooked today. Most approaches to making disciples focus on meeting together weekly. However, there is a depth that develops when you walk together on a daily basis. You get below the surface to the deep places where God wants to work in our lives.

Here's what we learn from Scripture about the daily nature of making disciples...

1. It's the way Jesus did it. Jesus was with his disciples every day for three years. If we are going to do it the way the Master did it, we have to think "daily".

2. It's the way the early church did it. "Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts and they broke bread in their homes..." Acts 2:46.

3. It's what we are commanded to do. "Encourage one another daily..." Heb. 3:13.

What have you discovered about the value of connecting daily?

John

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that while I acknowledge the importance of a daily CO2, I also have to confess that it has been difficult. However, when I am able to connect with my own heart, with God's heart, and the heart of others, then I'm filled with happiness and joy. Plus, it is too easy to forget the happenings in the lives of my brothers and sisters in Christ, all whom I love dearly. If I were doing more daily CO2s, then my gut feelings is that I receive the blessing of remembering their struggles and be able to pray for them.

    ReplyDelete